Friday, August 8, 2008

The Temple of Literature

My turn to post (Maria's making dinner)...

Today was a good day for us.  Starting with dinner last
 night, Madeleine has really been bonding with me.  We've been playing a lot of silly games that usually make her laugh and giggle.  She lets me feed her as long as she's sitting in Maria's lap.  But, the most significant breakthrough was when she let me put her down for her nap.  After a bit of fussing and fighting, she finally gave in, curled up on my chest and went to sleep.  When I go to pick her up now, it's pretty much the same routine - some initial fuss and bother, but then she settles in and seems pretty happy - especially if I have "the towel".  In fact, she's sitting in my arms as I'm typing this.  It feels really good.


She and Andrew have also been playing a lot.

 
Our adventure today was a visit to the Temple of Literature.  The first buildings were erected to honor Confucius in 1070, and the first university in Vietnam was established there in 1076.  Over the centuries, the complex was expanded greatly.  It was damaged during the decades of war starting in the 1950s, but has now been largely restored thank
s in part to the reconciliation efforts between Vietnam and the US.

The family at the main gate
An interior gate
On of many turtles carrying stelae listing the names of those who received their doctorates from the university
Maria and the kids in front of some of the stelae
Inside the temple dedicated to Confucious
Awww....

Andrew, guarding the realm against the invaders.

The boys in front of a really big drum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings from SC!

I am the mother of Hank Belz, who along with Tricia are awaiting their due date to see their little girl, Sophie Lee Nguyen Belz in Binh Duong.

I have sooo very much enjoyed your blog especially now that you are in Vietnam. Madeline is precious and I can only imagine how anxious you are to leave and come back to the US.

Safe travels and God speed to the 4 of you.

Forrest Logan